[ros-dev] Setupapi improvements

KJK::Hyperion noog at libero.it
Wed Oct 20 00:10:32 CEST 2004

At 06.13 19/10/2004, you wrote:
>>Which setupapi functions are needed for this hack?
>Right now its a hardcoded hack to SetupDiGetClassDevsA that looks for the
>iPods Vendor ID by talking to the /proc filesystem.

I've heard about the PnP support in the newest Linux versions. Their HAL
sounds a lot like our PnP Service. Maybe the Wine people should rather have
a look at that - I doubt direct access can be made portable enough (save
for some special cases - e.g. SCSI)

>I was hoping we could make it generic enough that ReactOS and Wine could
>both use the same code for device identification at least on the userspace
>side because if I understand it correctly all USB devices under any OS use
>the same ID system. I dont know how the other hardware such as PCI and
>friends work.

it depends (but in general it's some variation of the vendor id/device id
scheme). In fact, Windows has several enumerators, one per bus, each
supporting a different kind of device enumeration and identifications (FYI,
PCI devices have a vendor id, a device id, a subsystem vendor id, a
subsystem device id and a revision id), plus a root enumerator that
implements a default behavior (the identifier is a GUID) that should be
good enough for everything else (if not, you write your own enumerator).
You generally don't use these identifiers directly, anyway