[ros-dev] Package Manager

Maarten Bosma maarten.paul at bosma.de
Sat Apr 2 12:47:08 CEST 2005

Hi

Steven Edwards wrote:
 > We maintain a database of all of the free Win32 software on
 > SourceForge and try to get them all to use MSI or NSIS to package
          > them.

I don't think that ReactOs nor it's package manager are important enough
to tell people how to package their programs. So i still think that a
little script for each package is the best way to handle it.

Jonathan Wilson wrote:
> I think that we should also support "plain old zip files" as a package
> type (or a zip file with a little info about what to do). A large number
> of FOSS software packages dont need an installer at all, if all you have
> to do to get it to work is "unzip it into a folder", an installer is
> overkill.

That's what I'm currently working on. (unzipping)

So would you agree to put it on the svn-server or not ? In addition to
the program itself there are this 3 things that had to be hosted in a
new branch:

1. The program downloads tree.xml where all program are listed.
2. A detailed description with all informations e.g. vendor, license ...
3. The install script. With all informations of how to get and install
package.

Maarten Bosma