[ros-dev] Help to tester : Build Ros on WIN98 PC

Alex Ionescu ionucu at videotron.ca
Wed Apr 6 19:04:44 CEST 2005

Hartmut Birr wrote:

>Alex Ionescu wrote:
>

>>Hi,
>>
>>Yeah, we kind of broke it on purpose because of a bug in binutils with
>>relocation data. Nobody has created an easy solution yet, however
>>using Reactos's CMD.EXE in win98 will work and should bypass this
>>problem..
>>

>The windows 98 problem has nothing to do with a bug in binutils.
>Make.exe uses cmd to process all pipe commands on windows, but windows
>98 doesn't have a cmd program. You should copy command.com to cmd.com or
>cmd.exe.
>
>- Hartmut

Hi,

Our old makefile would split the creation of each object and then build
all the objects together. However, because of binutils' retardedness, it
is unable to generate proper relocation data unless the image is built
from a single object. So Filip made this change, but this breaks win9x
since the command-line (which now includes all the objects) is too large.

Notice the error message "Too many parameters"

Best regards,
Alex Ionescu