[ros-dev] ReactOS Foundation 501c3 Status - Approved

Steven Edwards steven_ed4153 at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 7 14:31:19 CEST 2005

Hi James,

--- James Tabor <jimtabor at adsl-64-217-116-74.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net> wrote:
> Paying developers? Hum?
>
> I don't want to be the bad guy here, but this could push people away from the project. It would
> be
> like going back to five years ago when ROS had no GUI just a command console. Everyone will wait
> for five or so developers to fix things, and trust me it does happen that way in the real world.
> The back log will kick their asses.

See the other thread. I don't think paying developers as full time workers is a good idea. I think
Contracts or bounties on certain projects are.

> Now I have to ask, where does the money come from? If the ORG has no money, I guess it should
> produce a competing distribution CD. This could make M$ happy, so M$ would have a target to
> sue at. Also everyone on the board would become a target as well.

I was wrong in the other email. I forgot we have $25 in the general fund atm which was raised at
LinuxWorld. I expect we can make quite a bit selling CDs, T-Shirts, Etc, if we want as well as
just accepting donations. As for the fear of lawsuit, the idea behind the foundation was that it
was better the foundation get sued and try to have some cash for legal defence rather than some
poor developer in school. Everybody here knows the risk from Microsoft....

Thanks
Steven