[ros-dev] Non-informational commit messages

Mark Junker mjscod at gmx.de
Sat Apr 9 14:17:44 CEST 2005

Casper Hornstrup schrieb:

>Commit messages should explain *what* was changed, not *why*. If there is a need
>to explain why, then it should be explained in the code instead.

Partially you're right. When you change a source file, you shouldn't
write "file xyz.c changed". But instead you should write "enhanced
functionality of abcxyz to allow this-and-that feature to work
correctly". This was the problem I had with the commit messages
mentioned by me. The information that a file or folder has been
removed/added can be seen in the SVN log itself ... but not the reason
why s/o did it - so an information like "folder asd removed" and "folder
asd added" is not very informative unless you know that a source of WINE
was re-imported.

Regards,
Mark