[ros-dev] Freeldr problems resolved

Brian Palmer brianp at sginet.com
Sun Apr 10 18:01:07 CEST 2005

Sounds like a good solution to me.

-Brian

-----Original Message-----
From: ros-dev-bounces at reactos.com [mailto:ros-dev-bounces at reactos.com] On
Behalf Of Phillip Susi
Sent: Sunday, April 10, 2005 4:08 PM
To: ReactOS Development List
Subject: Re: [ros-dev] Freeldr problems resolved

Hrm... ok, how about this then.  The code should go back to check if
it's 0xff and use DL if it is, the default value in fat.asm should be
set to 0xff, but then who is ever going to set it to the 'correct' value
on systems that don't pass the right value in dl?

It would be freeldr's installer's job to do that.  When it installs the
boot sector it should probably leave it as 0xff by default, but give the
user the option of changing it to a value they specify, and suggest they
try 80 for hard drives and 0 for floppies if their busted bios can't
boot it with ff.