[ros-dev] 7-zip - holy smokes!

Robert Köpferl rob at koepferl.de
Wed Apr 20 23:28:45 CEST 2005

This topic seems to be rather popular. But if you look at the relations
of files size, this seems natural.

Waldo has absolutely right, in my eyes. Setting up a build environment
is as 10 times more difficult than installing 7zip. So at least the
src-distr. isn't required any more as zip (since src needs buildenv). So
I as the one who packs and uploads the stuff decided, that the
src-package will only be distributed as .7z rather than .zip.
For the other packages (esp. qemu) I don't know. I think that will have
both.
At least for my part I am a canny guy. And if I can save bits/s and MB
on sf.net's and other's hard disks, I think that's good. So I would save
these bits. HDs are cheap but what tells us to be dissipative. So I
rather invest some CPU cycles to save many MB(/s).

Other opinion?
Let's read it.