[ros-dev] Kernel System Page Table

Alex Ionescu ionucu at videotron.ca
Sat Apr 23 14:25:51 CEST 2005

Hi Hartmut & Mm Experts,

It seems that on ROS, every process has its own Page Table for the
Kernel Area/System Table. This needs to be updated with MmUpdatePageDir
all the time, and creates a bunch of annoyances in the Context Switching
code too (for example, I can't check the trap frame for VM_MASK because
at that time the Page Directory hasn't been changed yet. I could change
it before but that would screw up the optimizations. Philip Susi and I
have researched this and arrived to the common conclusion that every new
Process's Page Table should share the same System Page Table. I'm not an
expert so maybe I'm not explaining it properly, but the System Page
Table shouldn't have to be "inserted/mapped" into every Process's Page
Table, it should already be there, shared amongst all processes.
I hope that made sense...if not, maybe Philip can fix up my explenation.

Is it possible for any of the Mm guys to implement this properly?
Thanks a lot..

Best regards,
Alex Ionescu