[ros-dev] Re: [ros-svn] [ion] 14810: Change optimization settings for retail builds. Change to -Os for smaller executables which are not slower, and enable more advanced optimizations. funitatatime is already included by default in GCC 4.0. Strip debug info from retail builds, since we don't parse the symbols anyways. I hope these options don't break anything, they don't for me; Debugging is unaffected.

Alex Ionescu ionucu at videotron.ca
Tue Apr 26 02:29:08 CEST 2005

ion at svn.reactos.com wrote:

>Change optimization settings for retail builds. Change to -Os for smaller executables which are not slower, and enable more advanced optimizations. funitatatime is already included by default in GCC 4.0. Strip debug info from retail builds, since we don't parse the symbols anyways. I hope these options don't break anything, they don't for me; Debugging is unaffected.

The direct result of this is that, for non-debug builds (which don't
support reading data from symbols anyways, not even during bugcheck),
the following data are now true:

1) ntoskrnl is 612kb on my system, down from 1.5MB
2) win32k is 316kb on my system, down from 800kb
3) taskmgr shows 6% idle cpu time, down from 9%
4) memory usage shows 32MB, down from 40MB+
5) total ISO size is now 12.5MB, down from 14.2MB.

Booting up the system to be much faster and everything is more
responsive, probably due to the smaller size and new optimizations.

Nothing has changed for DBG builds.

Best regards,
Alex Ionescu