[ros-dev] Re: [ros-svn] [ion] 13130: Bug fixes against uninitizlied variables and support for tree-wide optimization (do not try yet, crashes in bootvid).

Alex Ionescu ionucu at videotron.ca
Wed Jan 19 00:36:49 CET 2005

ion at svn.reactos.com wrote:

>Bug fixes against uninitizlied variables and support for tree-wide optimization (do not try yet, crashes in bootvid).
>

>Updated files:
>trunk/reactos/config
>trunk/reactos/drivers/lib/ip/transport/datagram/datagram.c
>trunk/reactos/drivers/net/afd/afd/connect.c
>trunk/reactos/drivers/net/afd/afd/write.c
>trunk/reactos/drivers/net/tcpip/tcpip/info.c
>trunk/reactos/hal/halx86/generic/dma.c
>trunk/reactos/lib/epsapi/enum/drivers.c
>trunk/reactos/lib/msafd/misc/dllmain.c
>trunk/reactos/lib/shellext/slayer/slayer.c
>trunk/reactos/lib/ws2_32/misc/ns.c
>trunk/reactos/ntoskrnl/Makefile
>trunk/reactos/regtests/shared/regtests.h
>trunk/reactos/subsys/csrss/win32csr/guiconsole.c
>trunk/reactos/subsys/win32k/makefile
>trunk/reactos/tools/helper.mk

If  some of you would like to turn OPTIMIZED = 1 and help me with some
of the current problems, I'd appreciate it greatly:

1) Bootvid crashes during boot logo intialization.

Booting with NOGUIBOOT gets ros to the installation page, where

2) Default selections for radio buttons and combobox do not appear, they
must now be selected manually

Apart from this glitch, driver installation and second boot were
perfect, minus the following:

3) Debug message about unhandled exception, followed by an explorer
crash related to a header file.
4) Browsing some registry keys in regedit causes regedit to crash.

I haven't noted any other problems for now, but I haven't done any deep
testing.

On the up side, this brings my little syscall benchmark to 170ms, an
additional 15% improvement. In total, this is an 80% improvement over
int2e builds. Furthermore, all of ReactOS is extremly fast. Directory
listing in cmd.exe is instant, explorer navigation as well. Menus
re-draw instantly and the whole experience is smooth. It really feels
like Windows, you have to try it to believe it.

There's been some talk on activating OPTIMIZED = 1 if (K)DBG != 1 and
all the developers on IRC were in agreement. But before such a change is
made, the bugs above need to be fixed, as well as any other possible
things which might crop up.

Best regards,
Alex Ionescu