[ros-dev] Re: New OS built on ReactOS and WinuxOS technology!

Casper Hornstrup ch at csh-consult.dk
Sun Jun 5 14:38:15 CEST 2005

On Windows, it's capable of building a bootable CD ~50% faster than the
old system was. Don't compare a DBG=0 with a DBG=1 build.

> 2) Making ReactOS Windows style. For eg. why do you implementing
> explorer to ReactOS? It musn't be there. But, you can write your own
> shell. It can looks like any existing shell (eg. Gnome, KDE, LiteStep).
> Why just Windows? Is it the most beautifull Operating System?

Windows has many good qualities.

> 3) Why all system is compressed to cabinet (CAB) file? Becouse Windows
> uses this compresion. Why are you doing all like Microsoft? Is Bill
> Gates paying you for cloning his OS? There's better, more beautifull and
>  with more capabilities shelles. And all of them are user-friendly!

Because cabinet files have good access times when you need to pull out just
one file. And yes, Bill is sponsoring me. He even sends me gifts. Last
christmas I got a spacy looking USB mouse from him.

> 2/3) You want to do Windows clone, becouse the most poeple use it. So,
> you want to do free Widnows. But we want to do completelly new OS, that
> what I said it will be able to run Widnows apps and load windows
> drivers. That's all. Of course we can cooperate if you want. You can get
> our patches from HostiliX's SVN and we can get your patches from
> ReactOS's SVN.

ReactOS is not a clone of Windows. On www.reactos.com,
"ReactOS is an Open Source effort to develop a quality operating system that is compatible with Microsoft Windows(R) applications
and drivers."
says it all.

> Actually we're only looking for people who symphatetic our idea to make
> completelly new OS (somethink like modified Windows). On most forum
> boards where are Windows Customization sections you can see Windows with
> Aqua style (they're changing Windows to look like MacOS or Linux)

It doesn't sound like it's a completely new OS. It sounds more like a fork
of ReactOS.

PS. Don't compare these:
http://www.reactos.com/en/content/view/full/177
http://savannah.gnu.org/task/?func=detailitem&item_id=3642