[ros-dev] PowerPC arcitecture?

Robert Köpferl rob at koepferl.de
Sun Jun 5 21:40:16 CEST 2005

To do what others still refused, I just give an answer:

Both, x86 and PPC PCs are more simmilar than different. So they're using
rather the same architecture (PCI, ...). The different instruction sets
are just two different devices named CPU. Therefore we use different
compilers or call gcc with another architecture flag. The devices are
the same on each plattform. PCI-cards are exchangeable and since PCI is
PCI, the dev's adresses remain the same. So a well written driver will
work on either architecture by just being recompiled.
Normally. But there's still the Endian-problem (how order the multiple
bytes of a large number have). x86 uses little endian, while ppc
natively uses big endian. Up to G4 there's a switch to make the
processor think different, but G5 misses this flag.
So we seem to be forced to use big endian for our build.

What did M$ use in former times, when winnt 3.51 PPC was available?