[ros-dev] Re: [ros-svn] [hbirr] 15836: Changed back to the GPL.

Steven Edwards steven_ed4153 at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 8 16:58:55 CEST 2005

Hi,

--- Mike Nordell <tamlin at algonet.se> wrote:
> You might get the idea "but what abut the ROS foundation?!". Indeed, what
> about it. If the foundation's views and interest in upholding the copyright
> does not 100% correlate to my view and interest (in ways) to uphold the
> copyright, that's also a dead end.

Well its opt in. If you want the foundation to have copyright for the source files you write I can
draw up copyright assignment paperwork. I would much rather each author retain rights to their own
code making it harder on Microsoft by having to take more people to court.

> These I however do agree with. Removing the very large GPL header from all
> files is IMO a noble goal (it's sometimes larger, in bytes, than the code
> itself). But then, that's exactly what Alex proposed.

A simple solution is to include something like the following like the FSD recommends.

Copyright (C) yyyy  name of author(s)

This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or
modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License
as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2
of the License, or (at your option) any later version.

Foundation, Inc., 51 Franklin Street, Fifth Floor, Boston, MA  02110-1301, USA.