[ros-dev] Re: [ros-svn] [hbirr] 15877: Print more informations on a BSOD by enabling the debug prints to the screen.

Hartmut Birr hartmut.birr at gmx.de
Sun Jun 12 22:38:52 CEST 2005

Alex Ionescu wrote:

> hbirr at svn.reactos.com wrote:
>
>> Print more informations on a BSOD by enabling the debug prints to the
>> screen.
>>

>> Updated files:
>> trunk/reactos/ntoskrnl/ke/bug.c
>>

> Hi...
>
> Erm...I don't understand this change. BSOD data is already printed on
> screen during a crash.
> The only thing that's not printed is ROS-Specific Debug Data, because
> that's part of "debug output" and not of an official BSOD.

It doesn't exist an 'official' BSOD. On a crash, ros should show as many
informations as possible. Ros should show this informations independent
from the debug port.

> At least that's how it's fundamentaly defined... I really don't like
> this hack, although I know you'll probably say you want the debug data
> on screen, but my question is why don't you use /DEBUGPORT=SCREEN for
> this? You're hacking the kernel to display debug data when debugging
> is off... And I hate the #if 0 #else #endif stuff you've added, it
> makes this hack even nastier! If you *really* want to bypass the
> debuging design and force debug-data to be printed when it shouldn't,
> at least make a nicer hack please (ie, modify KeDumpStackFrames to use
> InbvDisplayString). I'm sorry but this patch is unacceptable to
> me...it makes the code look like shit.

Previous your rewrite of the debug system, the BSOD was simply an
enableing of the screen debug prints. Your rewrite hasn't removed this
code. Some other changes have disabled this old feature. If you doen't
like my hack, please implement the old feature in a clean way.

- Hartmut