[ros-dev] what's the ReactOS USB status?

Damjan Jovanovic dj015 at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 17 10:20:42 CEST 2005

Hi

I recently got the chance to try out ReactOS for my
first time. It seems to me just about nothing works,
it takes an expert to compile it (I had to download 2
different mingw-linux versions, fix an assembly
language syntax error and comment out broken netkittcp
code), but it's a very cute operating systems that
boots faster than any other I've ever seen.

Anyway, I recently started looking at how to make
Windows device drivers (it's interesting...), and I
thought I'd make a couple for ReactOS. I had several
in mind:

-A USB mass storage device driver (when I plugged my
USB flash disk in, it didn't flash and no new disk
showed up, so I assume they currently aren't
supported) I believe that the driver is called
USBSTOR.SYS on Win2k?

-A USBSCAN.SYS for USB scanners [I am already working
on an STI (Still Image service) implementation, and
seeing as the Wine folks aren't thrilled at having me
add device drivers into Wine, which is necessary for
many scanners, I think I'll make STI for ReactOS
instead :-) ].

-A driver for the XFS filesystem. I've already got a
hacked-up collection of XFS code from GRUB to compile.
Now just to turn it into a proper driver...

But before I even get started, how well is USB
supported under ReactOS? Why is there no USBLIB.H in
the DDK headers? Does anyone know good resources for
USB programming under Windows? And any advice for
filesystem drivers?

Thank you
Damjan