[ros-dev] New Release - how're you feeling?

WaxDragon waxdragon at gmail.com
Wed Jun 22 15:33:24 CEST 2005

I agree the site needs updated.

Still, there have been several key improvements since 0.2.6:

* qemu's user-net ne2000 works right from the bootcd
* win32k has had some work, making at least second stage installer
more responsive
* rbuild has been successfully merged
* all the other crap that we have fixed

OTOH,

* networking has regressed in some areas
* all the other crap we have regressed or broken

There is alot of talk of our "users", but I don't think we have a good
idea of who they really are, at this point in time.

Haven't you ever updated a piece of software just because it was
newer?  I can't remember the last time I updated my linux kernel other
than it has just been released.  Can't we just go back in the late
15xxx revs, pick a release that builds and generally works and run it
though the release process?

We are so far along, I could be almost tempted to wait for 0.3.0 after
the current header work, if we could get a focused effort on
networking after it's done.  It would need to be a release soon
though, I remember telling people in IRC late last year that 0.3.0 was
going to be at the end of the year.  What about those "users"?

You guys are doing a kickass job as always,
WD

On 6/22/05, Alex Ionescu <ionucu at videotron.ca> wrote:
> Robert k. wrote:
>
> >Hi,
> >let's put it this way: I have no problem in doing an intermediate release.
> >NEither idealistic nor by work. For my unterstanding, releases are time
> >driven, not feature driven.
> >So you're currently not feeling good for having a release build?
> >I asked for a release one month ago, but I have to admit, not inbetween,
> >anymore.
> >So if not more people are worrying, I think we should have a try ???
> >

> I still have a problem with a 0.2.7 release, especially as Filip and I
> are in the middle of changing the whole header system, which probably
> will add a couple of regressions, and still needs to be tested. I also
> have a problem because nothing has changed on the networking stage
> yet...I was hoping to have time to merge in my new Winsock DLLs... the
> reason I haven't yet is because Filip started working on the headers,
> and I couldn't be left out in the dust, and he needed my help with the
> NDK. Additionally, we still don't have anything new for the user. People
> are getting TIRED and they YAWN when they see another ReactOS release.
> Our changelogs are usually nothing more then "fixed bug X in function X,
> made function Y faster"... real users don't see any benefits. Look at
> 0.2.6, they only thing they noticed is that it sucked more then 0.2.5,
> because we didn't test it adequately. Users know how to wait for
> something; right now we've made them wait a long time for this new
> ReactOS released and promised them amazing things.. and what are we
> going to deliver? Some bugfixes they won't understand? This will just
> dilute the ReactOS releases and make them seem as meaningful as the
> Colored Terrorist Alert in the USA.
>
> I think instead, what should be done is to finally get around to
> CHANGING OUR HOMEPAGE which is OUTDATED and confuses users with
> INCORRECT DATA. I'm sorry to rant about this again, but what is taking
> so long? I also logged in to our SF homepage and it's in a dire state. I
> don't think there is even any link to our main homepage. And more
> importantly, we really need to add a link to Nighlty Builds, so people
> that really want the latest can try it out. Do you see Firefox releasing
> every 3 months? Linux? No, they release when there is something to show
> (or a critical security issue).
>
> Best regards,
> Alex Ionescu

<kjk_hyperion> I have a penchant for mischief, property damage and stalking
<kjk_hyperion> and cheesecake, of course