[ros-dev] Re: [ros-svn] [ion] 16288: Satisfy blight's excessively arrogant attitude and overblown ego

Alex Ionescu ionucu at videotron.ca
Sun Jun 26 14:09:30 CEST 2005

Anich Gregor wrote:

>You are such an IDIOT!

Please don't resort to name-calling.

>If i wanted to see my copyright in the file i could add it to each file i
>touch, like you do.
>
>I was just saying that it was bad to base a new file on a old one, copying
>blocks of the old one into the new one (or rewriting them - at the end one
>sees its the same code with different syntax), then remove the original
>authors copyright (dwelch), add his own name, svn delete the old file and add
>the new file instead of moving and keeping all copytrights in the
>file/history.

See, you're misrepresenting what happened in order to prove yourself
right. The new file was based on the old one as much as any OS's context
switcher is based in any other OS's. I barely even looked at the old
file when writing the code, except for your FPU code.
Before talking about dwelch's copyright, you should know that I actually
talked to some developers about how much is a derivative work and how
much is new code and the differences and copyrights.
You should also know that our development guidelines RECOMMEND that if
file has been re-written (and even if it was only changing syntax,
that's pretty much a rewrite) it should be svn deleted and svn added.

I spent a great amount of time working on that file and I really don't
appreciate you telling me that all I did was "copy, rewrite, remove
name, add mine". It's extremly disrespectful.

>You said you didnt know who wrote the FPU code (after i said that i have
>written it and noone can see that because of the deleted history), but you
>would have had to assume that it was written by dwelch if thats the only name
>in the file (and add his name to the new file) or simply keep the history of
>the file so everyone can see which part was written by whom.
>So the file said it was written by dwelch, while the history showed that it
>was written by me (i didnt want to add my copyright into the file, knowing
>that people can see from the history that i have written it was enough
>satisfaction) - and now the history is gone and the file leaves the
>impression that everything was written 100% by you.

Yes, the history was deleted, yes, I only added my name because the only
other code still in there is yours, and your name wasn't there before,
so I assumed that you didn't want it added back. 99% of people would've
assumed that David wrote the old code too, and any project copying that
file woudl've LOST the svn history as well, so nobody would've known
that you wrote it either.

>IMO we should try to take care of others copyright (even if you dont like
>them)

I've always insisted on someone doing a "svn log" and adding everyone's
names... I also find it childish that you keep telling everyone I don't
like you.

>I never asked you to add my copyright back to the file, and you would also
>have to add david welch again (and all the others from the old history which
>worked on the file), no only me!

I totally agree, except that David doesn't really hold any copyright in
the file anymore, not even derivative. Unless you consider the general
process of switching stacks, editing TSS, updating LDT and CR3 as
copyrighted by David (you will notice that most of these opertions are
done differently in my code).

Best regards,
Alex Ionescu