[ros-dev] Pissoff hotlix

Quandary ai2097 at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 27 07:25:53 CEST 2005

On Mon, Jun 27, 2005 at 05:22:18AM -0700,
magnus at itkonsult-olsen.com wrote:
> I meaing when we are printing out a copyright note
> and that copyright note must be intact or the
> copyright string. they are not allown to change it.

The license does not say this.

> see paragraph 2.c and reactos is interactiv.

2.c says that an *appropriate* copyright notice must
be displayed. It does not define what appropriate
means. It does *not* say, anywhere, that the copyright
notice cannot be modified.

> and you for not remove or modify any copyright under
> runtime.

I'm sorry, but your logic is patently false. The
license in no way states that you cannot alter the
copyright notice. It states only that you *must show
an appropriate notice*. That means showing no notice
would be wrong, but showing an altered notice is not
(in and of itself) wrong.

This could be wrong under copyright law, but the
license does not in any way forbid it.

> I piss off for hotlix have change the runtime
> copyright notes.

And I can understand your frustration; I think it's
completely justified and warranted.

> sublicen some dll are wines and are under lgpl
> therefor thuese this licen become a sublicen to
> reactos.

Not true. LGPL is a DUAL license (both GPL and LGPL).
See section 3 of the LGPL. When taking an LGPL library
and using it as GPL, it is not a sub-license -- it is
a separate license that you are allowed to use *in
stead of* the LGPL.

Someone taking your GPL source code and using it in
a separate project, also released under the GPL, is
not sub-licensing your code either. The code is
available to that project's end-users under your
license -- you license your code directly to
HostiliX's (or anyone else's) end-users as GPL code.
There is no sub-license involved, period.

> and gpl say any sublicen part of source code. the
> sublicen for not be chaning. that meaning lgpl can
> not become gpl

Yes it can. See section 3 of the LGPL.

> for we are realing wine code back as
> lgpl.

Here's how it works. You bring in LGPL code. You
modify the LGPL code. It's all still LGPL. You
release the LGPL code back to Wine, everything is
fine. You go to release it with your GPL code and,
oops, incompatibility with the GPL! At that point, you
invoke the second license (LGPL section 3) and treat
the code as GPL. Then boom, everything works out fine.

There is no sub-licensing. There is dual licensing,
and that's not the same thing.

> therefor can they not take thuse dll or other
> part of source in ros comes under diffent licen and
> change it. for the main licen forbit it.
>
> see paragraph 4

But they aren't changing the license; they are using
the GPL. I'll say it again: *no sub-licensing
happens*.

To prove your points, you need to do one of the
following:

 * Name/show the non-GPL license they are using

 * Show where a copyright notice used to print, and
   now does not print *at all*.

Double sigh.

-- Travis

> Quoting Quandary <ai2097 at yahoo.com>:
>
> > On Mon, Jun 27, 2005 at 02:24:04AM -0700,
> > magnus at itkonsult-olsen.com wrote:
> > > Hi
> > >
> > > I still alot pissoff hotlix they are still
> > > breaking gpl
> >
> > I also don't particularly like what they are doing
> > but I don't think that they are breaking the GPL.
> >
> > > see GPL Licen paragraph 2.c
> > > If the modified program normally reads commands
> > > interactively when run, you must cause it, when
> > > started running for such interactive use in the
> > > most ordinary way, to print or display an
> > > announcement
> >
> > (emphasis)
> > > including an appropriate copyright notice and a
> > > notice that there is no warranty (or else,
> > > saying that you provide a warranty) and that
> > > users may redistribute the program under these
> > > conditions, and telling the user how to view a
> > > copy of this License.
> > (/emphasis)
> >
> > > (Exception: if the Program itself is interactive
> > > but does not normally print such an
> > > announcement, your work based on the Program is
> > > not required to print an announcement.)
> > >

> > > Hotlix have replace there copyright note on
> > > every dll and exe files at run time. ReactOS are
> > > interactive when it start and therefore are you
> > > not allown to change the copyright note.
> >
> > Sorry, but you're making a logical jump. The
> > license above says that the modified program must
> > display an *appropriate* copyright notice -- it
> > does not say that the notice can't be changed.
> > Your definition of appropriate (i.e., saying the
> > original dev's name) may not be the legal
> > definition (e.g., the most significant
> > contributor, the latest contributor, the second
> > developer's third-neice-twice-removed's
> > boyfriend's dog, or whatever). So, from the
checklist: