[ros-dev] Pissoff hotlix

Quandary ai2097 at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 27 15:28:14 CEST 2005

On Mon, Jun 27, 2005 at 10:43:26PM +0200,
KJKHyperion wrote:
> Quandary wrote:
>
> > And that's my point exactly -- you'd need a lawyer
> > to interpret that, and ultimately it's the judge
> > who makes the final decision
>
> nope. In these matters, the copyright holder
> basically owns your ass. We can revoke all rights to
> anyone we please.

That depends on the jurisdiction, which is another
big whole mess. No one person owns the copyright,
here, and there are contributors in lots of
countries. So... which court would this even
be tried in? Whose laws apply?

We don't have a revokation clause in the license;
does this mean it's revokable? Non-revokable? Again,
you need a lawyer and *some* semblance of
jurisdiction before you can even begin to start
untangling this mess.

> Copyleft is just good  manners, copyright is the
> law. Remember this already happened: a fork of
> OpenBSD was killed by license termination in
> response to copyright  misrepresentation - and, boy,
> does it take a special brand of stupidity to manage
> to violate a BSD license

1) links, please.
2) Copyleft is law, too -- since it's based directly
   on copyright. Some licenses leverage that legal
   ability (GPL), some don't (BSD).

> That said, the Hostilix people have no shame and no
> fear; they are well-known copyright violators (their
> WinuxOS was a repackaged Windows 2000, wasting
> SourceForge's bandwidth too) and are doing their
> best to alienate us; they are a bunch of loser punk
> posers who embarass the whole OS-development scene.
> Let them get away with it, they are do-no-good hacks
> and nothing can punish them worse than simply
> existing. Hostilix will die naturally from the
> complete lack of any form of skill on the part of
> the pathetic clowns who conceived it

Agreed.

-- Travis