[ros-dev] Re: Copyright notices

Murphy, Ged (Bolton) MurphyG at cmpbatteries.co.uk
Wed Jun 29 13:48:23 CEST 2005

Quandary wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 29, 2005 at 01:17:11PM +0200, Rafal Kupiec
> wrote:
> > K McI wrote:

> >>http://svn.berlios.de/wsvn/hostilix/trunk/Sources/apps/notep
> ad/dialog.
> > >c?op=diff&rev=0&sc=1
> > >

> > > I hope Revision 42 isn't the latest because the
> > > URI is invalid (You lost a "w" somewhere from 1 to
> > > 42)!
> > > (...)
> >
> > What?
> >

> The site. The site that the above link points to.
> Look at it.
>
>  * Copyright(C) 1999-2005r. BetaComp Team
>    <http://www.betacomp.info/>
>
> becomes
>
>  * This file is a part of BetaComp Team Project
>    <http://ww.betacomp.info/>
>
> Notice the missing W in "ww.betacomp.info".

I still don't understand why they have to put their mark on the code at all.

Is it some kind of ego boost the hostilix team is a after?
Is it because they want people to think they have the skill the ROS devs
have?
Is it because they want people to think they wrote the code?

IMO, if you use code from another project, you leave the code as it is, i.e.
no claiming copyright, no adding headers to claim ownership, or to trick
people into thinking it's your code, or any other type of header just for
the sake of adding it.

The only time you should be adding your own mark is when you have altered
the code in some way. Your mark should then be added, in addition to the
current list of programmers.

To be honest, I find it all rather sad and quite pathetic to need to stoop
to this level.
Just take the damn headers off and all this hostility will end.

Ged.

The information contained in this message or any of its
attachments is confidential and is intended for the exclusive
use of the addressee. The information may also be legally
privileged. The views expressed may not be company policy,
but the personal views of the originator. If you are not the
addressee, any disclosure, reproduction, distribution or other
dissemination or use of this communication is strictly prohibited.
postmaster at exideuk.co.uk
<mailto:postmaster at exideuk.co.uk> and then delete this message.

Exide Technologies is an industrial and transportation battery
producer and recycler with operations in 89 countries.
Further information can be found at www.exide.com