[ros-dev] Universal Kernel?

Radovan Skolnik radovan_skolnik at tempest.sk
Mon Sep 12 09:37:52 CEST 2005

Nice idea. However there's one thing that you missed: AMD64 bit processors
enable to run x86 32bit code without modification (same goes for Intel).
That means in this scenario there is no translation involved - the CPU
executes the 32bit instructions directly and OS just supports this scenario
(it's similar to running 16bit applications on 32bit processors).

The truth is that on Mac OS X there is this translation technology being
able to run PPC binaries on x86 (the thingy is pretty complex probably).
However it doesn't work on all of them and I doubt it would be easily
licensable to project like this. But one never knows. There are already
things to base such work on: PearPC as PPC emulator and some others probably
exist for other HW platforms.

Best regards

	Radovan Skolnik