[ros-dev] Universal Kernel?

art yerkes ayerkes at speakeasy.net
Mon Sep 12 10:09:39 CEST 2005

Rick Langschultz wrote:

> I figure the reactos kernel could be ported to PowerPC; later. So
> when reactos is stable on powerpc or another system reactos could use
> a utility to allow reactos to run mac os x programs transparently  on
> top of ReactOS. Or even IA-32 programs on that system also. This
> would be reverable PPC-to-IA-32 and IA-32--to--PPC. I figure if
> PearPC contributed code to the project with XEN and others ReactOS
> could translate these binaries. Just a thought...
> Rick Langschultz
> rlangschultz at cox.net (Home)
> rlangschultz at ellemaespa.com (Work)
> rlangschultz at email.uophx.edu (School)

Good ideas, but let's see some code.  Also, many of these ideas apply
generally and don't need to be reactos projects.  Running OSX binaries
on windows would involve a colinux like darwin kernel userland port,
which is quite feasible and also quite outide the scope of the reactos
project.  I'd encourage somebody to finally work on a userland mach on
windows.  Heaven knows that the win32 api is rich enough to map
virtually every mach call to a handfull of api calls.  Once you had
that, i'd expect it to take only a month or two of tinkering to get
userland darwin running.