[ros-dev] Testing ROS on VMWare With 32MB... Interesting Results

TwoTailedFox twotailedfox at gmail.com
Wed Sep 14 01:24:43 CEST 2005

I'm still surprised it works myself, partly because it sounds like it
really shouldn't be possible, given what everyone else is saying.

I'm going to have a butchers on Virtual PC 2004, since I've got a day
off tomorrow. I'll compile a fresh SVN copy of the BootCD and LiveCD,
and see what I can get working with that.

QEMU 0.7.0 for Windows, with 32MB using r17829, first stage completes
again, second stage complains it's out of Swap Space....

Bochs 2.1.1 with 32MB can't create the registry hives, and fails
around ~60% on 1st stage install.

Alex, I'm curious to see how you've got ROS booting with such low
memory. Needless to say, I'm very much interested to see the same
results.

On 9/13/05, Alex Ionescu <ionucu at videotron.ca> wrote:
> WaxDragon wrote:
>
> >Let's keep in mind that the only time Alex was able to obtain these
> >results are in the revisions right after the 0.2.6 release.
> >
> Alex is still able to obtain these results with his current tree.
> Alex noticed the other members of the team were not interested in
> achieving these results, so he has not continued to ensure they are
> still public.
>
> > The
> >versions that worked are noted in the "ReactOS is a fat pig" bug.
> >Also, your Testing Coordinator *still* cannot reproduce TwoTailedFox's
> >results.  If anyone else can, I am interesting in hearing about your
> >config.
> >
> Best regards,
> Alex Ionescu

"I had a handle on life, but then it broke"