[ros-dev] Testing ROS on VMWare With 32MB... Interesting Results

Ge van Geldorp gvg at reactos.com
Wed Sep 14 10:05:38 CEST 2005

> From: TwoTailedFox
>
> I'm still surprised it works myself, partly because it sounds
> like it really shouldn't be possible, given what everyone
> else is saying.
>
> I'm going to have a butchers on Virtual PC 2004, since I've
> got a day off tomorrow. I'll compile a fresh SVN copy of the
> BootCD and LiveCD, and see what I can get working with that.
>
> QEMU 0.7.0 for Windows, with 32MB using r17829, first stage
> completes again, second stage complains it's out of Swap Space....
>
> Bochs 2.1.1 with 32MB can't create the registry hives, and
> fails around ~60% on 1st stage install.
>
> Alex, I'm curious to see how you've got ROS booting with such
> low memory. Needless to say, I'm very much interested to see
> the same results.

Note that if you do a default build, you'll get a debug build which, at
runtime, will load symbol info. Hartmut computed that this takes up 7Mb of
memory. If you want to use as little memory as possible, you can do a
release build (copy config.template.xml to config.xml and change the DBG
value to 0), or you can prevent symbol info from being loaded by adding
/NOLOADSYMBOLS to the load options in freeldr.ini.

Gé van Geldorp.