[ros-dev] Subsystems, how to write one

Alex Ionescu ionucu at videotron.ca
Wed Sep 28 22:00:04 CEST 2005

crashfourit wrote:

> What are the relevent ReactOS API calls for building a dynamicly
> loadable subsystem?
> I'm asking this because I can't find the API documentation on the
> website. (I looks more like the documentation is not yet completed.)
>
> Other questions relevent to this:
> How do I register a new executible file format? I.E. coff.
> How do I register a new interrupt vector(s).
> What are the API to control v86 prosses?
>
> If y'all want to know what subsystem I want to write, it is DOS. This
> is because I'm more familar with programing in DOS.

Hi,

The NTVDM subsystem isn't part of the typical dynamic subsystems
(personalites) that NT supports. It's more of an internal static thing
deeply connected to such things as V86, ABIOS, WOW16, etc. Once we
eventually set up all that backend, we will actually start needing code
for the actual VDM emulator. So at this point, unless you become really
familiar with the 16-bit emulation architecture on NT, I don't think
there is much you can do... and we probably won't ourselves attack that
for quite some time, but you're free to attempt it yourself, and we'd
appreciate it.

Best regards,
Alex Ionescu