[ros-dev] Subsystems, how to write one

crashfourit crashfourit at gmail.com
Thu Sep 29 02:51:31 CEST 2005

I do know that to have more than one v86 prosseses to run on a i386+
machine, access to the paging system is needed, mainly to change the
physical address of the first virtural megabyte to somewhere else. Also
you would have to be able to tell the differnce between software
interrupts and CPU exeptions. The system and video bioses and can be
specialized for the emulation of the v86 machine. One would only have to
modify the freeware bioses from, lets say, Bochs. Also you would want to
reduce as much as possible the number of times going in and out of v86
mode. This mainly comes into play when you writing DPMI support. Also I
know that in most cases, DJGPP built programs can be executed directly
in a regular 386+ manner, but each DJGPP program would have to have a
separate v86 space. Aslo, the full screen dos video could be redirected
to the DirectX graphics system.