[ros-dev] [ros-kernel] How do device drivers fit into the project goal

James Tabor jimtabor at adsl-64-217-116-74.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net
Fri Aug 18 03:04:15 CEST 2006

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: [ros-kernel] How do device drivers fit into the project goal
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 1998 20:05:44 -0700
From: rex <rex at lvcablemodem.com>
To: ros-kernel at sid-dis.com <ros-kernel at sid-dis.com>

In a recent response to a message I posted, dennis
mentioned that the goal of the project is to build an
OS that gives the user a Win32 compatable
environment.  He also stated in that message that
the guts will not necessarily be the same as WinNT
or Win98, insted that might actually work correctly.
A while ago a similar discussion came up and it was
agreed (or so I remember) that we would try to
remain compatable with device drivers so we don't
have to reinvent them all.  I was reading a status
message from Connor and I realized that he has
some interesting ideas for building a high performance
video subsystem, but my brief glance at his description
left me thinking that legacy drivers probably will not
plug into it.  This does not bother me, however we
should discuss this and decide on a clear goal for
ReactOS regarding driver compatability.

It's my impression that the following statement
sums up the goal of the project:

ReactOS will be a freely distributable operating
system capable of running Win32 applications,
that is Win98 and WinNT applications.

The main project page states the following:

"ReactOS will be a free operating system that
can run software and drivers compatible with
Windows NT."

I hope I'm not stepping on any toes, but I think
before Conner builds a fast but not necessarily
compatable video system, or Arindam builds a
compatable but not necessarily most effecient
network subsystem, perhaps we should reaffirm
the goal so noone takes the wrong path.

Personally, I vote for driver compatability.  I think
there is enough room internally for improvement
over the MS design (though I haven't actually seen
it) that we dont need to change the structure of
the driver interface.  Of course, I haven't yet seen
the Network or Video driver interface other than
block diagrams and broad overviews.

Rex.