[ros-dev] Re: Undocumented APIs

mf mf at mufunyo.net
Wed Feb 1 15:21:27 CET 2006

Hi,

Andrew "Silver Blade" Greenwood wrote:
> If that's the general procedure we are to take, then **I don't see what
> the problem is**.

The problem is, that the developer that wants to implement the API needs
to *prove* that there is some application/driver out there using it. As
I said in the IRC channel yesterday, the fact that someone wants to
invest his/her time into implementing it is reason enough to allow
implementation. That doesn't mean the implementation shouldn't be
clean-room. Following from that, Steven's proposition sounds a lot
better than Casper's, and it is one I can agree with. If there is no
documentation, make some, by having someone disassemble it and document
his/her findings in a file outlining the API. This was the whole
"working in pairs" thing we agreed upon in the meeting. Just to clarify
slightly, this means nothing changes in our design goals or
implementation, we just need to document what we disassemble, and the
person doing the disassembling can't do the implementation. Simple as
that. No other harm done.
So, imho all the folds are now ironed out of the proposition, and on to
vote it is!

Cheers,
mf