[ros-dev] Related to Reverse Engeneering.

Steven Edwards winehacker at gmail.com
Thu Feb 2 23:23:50 CET 2006

Hi,

On 2/2/06, WaxDragon <waxdragon at gmail.com> wrote:
> I would think we should be much more concerned about "derivative
> works", or straight copyright violations (cut and paste of source
> code).

I agree. The only thing the DMCA does it take copyright violations
from Civil to Criminal. This section is just further reinforcing what
is known as "Fair Use" The standard is still the same for what is fair
use and what is infringement. If you need it to operate in a
compatible method and you can prove that then it should fall under
fair use. Blatantly reversing for the sake of reversing when functions
are publicly documented and there are third parties using the exported
interface, jumps well past a small violation in to the realm of
derivative work.

--
Steven Edwards - ReactOS and Wine developer