[ros-dev] RE: What Happened

Murphy, Ged (Bolton) MurphyG at cmpbatteries.co.uk
Fri Feb 10 09:31:22 CET 2006

Carlo J. Calica wrote:

> I don't remember reading that on this list.  The public
> allegations were:
> wide spread "questionable" reverse engineering practices, and
> devs looking
> at leaked code.

There were many allegations thrown about. One of the first places for
something to appear was our own forums in which the post was titled
something along the lines of "ReactOS contains MS leaked source code" (I
don't remember the exact wording). I picked that one because it was
completely untrue and unfounded. I was just using it as an example of how
something untrue can escalate into something damaging.

> > Now, if this mail was received privately, we could have
> dealt with the
> > issue internally and avoided all this mess. Development would have
> > continued whilst we resolved any potential issues. For the
> community and
> > the project as a whole, which would you consider to be the
> better option?
> >
> Pretending issues don't exist won't make them go away.  The resolution
> shouldn't change if discussed in private or public.

I never once said they would. I don't know where you got that from.
The way something is handled can vary greatly dependant on the
circumstances, but that doesn't avoid the fact that the issue remains and
must be dealt with.

> Maybe development
> could have continued during a code review, but then the code
> review would
> take much longer and may never be completed.  There might
> never have been
> the clarification on reverse engineering techniques.  As a
> potential user
> and project proponent, I am VERY happy with the whistle
> blowing and the
> public response.  ReactOS IS stronger after this setback.
> Now you have a
> good IP policy that is defensible.

We don't have a valid IP Policy at the moment.
I also fail to see how a project on the edge of closing and divided
developers is stronger.

> PLEASE reconsider the private list.  Failing that, members of
> the list, move
> public topics here.  We DO appreciate it.  It IS for the good of the
> project.

Public topics are _not_ discussed on the private list. In all honesty, very
little is discussed on the private list.
This is just another example of something being blown out of proportion.
Developers have been having private discussions since the project started
about 8 years ago, however they are few and far between. It's just that now
instead of using private emails exclusively, a mailing list has been set up
for convenience. Nothing has changed.

I'm sure members of the community who are non-developers also do the same. I
don't ask that they discuss their issues on the public mailing list either.

> Don't feel the need to respond.  I just wanted to provide an alternate
> viewpoint.  This topic is very much opinion.  I doubt you'll
> be able to
> change mine and I may be unable to change yours.  I am nothing but an
> interested observer, you owe me nothing.  Thanks for hearing me out.

All views are fully welcome, and valid. This project belongs to everyone.

Ged.

The information contained in this message or any of its
attachments is confidential and is intended for the exclusive
use of the addressee. The information may also be legally
privileged. The views expressed may not be company policy,
but the personal views of the originator. If you are not the
addressee, any disclosure, reproduction, distribution or other
dissemination or use of this communication is strictly prohibited.
postmaster at exideuk.co.uk
<mailto:postmaster at exideuk.co.uk> and then delete this message.

Exide Technologies is an industrial and transportation battery
producer and recycler with operations in 89 countries.
Further information can be found at www.exide.com