[ros-dev] What Happened

Dann B. Smith dann at dannsoft.com
Sat Feb 11 10:30:32 CET 2006

Hi!

I'm probably a non-person to most people here.  This is my first foray
into the mailing list as a submitter.

If I may say a few things:

First:  No one has a RIGHT to anything.  Mailing lists, archives,
whatever.   You only have whatever options the originators of IP or code
decide to give.

Second:  For a fully open source project, private lists are Bad News.
While they do allow sensitive ideas to be discussed in a more informal
setting, they also give the options to have high-level decisions to be
made without any community support.  I've seen it saidf in this list
that the "private" list developers talk abut things that don't affect
other developers.  WRONG!  Anything that the "primary" developers talk
about affects the entire development community.  Otherwise, there's no
reason to duscuss it at all.

Third:  While reverse engineering may be legal in Europe, it's only
legal in certain circumstances in the US.  Open source projects tend to
be world-wide in scope.  Thus, the most restrictive of laws MUST be
applied so that no legal boundaries are crossed.  In this case, it looks
like the US has laws that do not exist elsewhere.  Likewise, the US has
one of the largest "markets" for software, so the US can't be discounted
unless we wish to develop a Europe-only OS.  Thus, no matter what, we
have to follow the restrictive US laws on reverse engineering.  Despite
any personal feelings, laws must be upheld.

Fourth: Re: dirty laundry.  This is almost a non-starter.  Yes, some
things were said that caused a bit of an uproar.  Yes, the project is
being held up in some respects.  On the other hand, we have enough
people here who care enough to give voice to their opinions AND who care
enough to see the project succeed that the idea that "dirty laundry"
being aired in public being a bad thing is absurd.  The results say
otherwise.  Politics has NO place in an engineering project.  None.
Ever.  Don't let the idea of politics creep in and kill an otherwise
wonderful thing.

Fifth:  Personal attacks here are without doubt, worthless.  This is a
list for developers, coders, and engineers.  To call someone's attitude
ridiculous goes right back into my previous statement about politics.

Sixth:  I would like to thank you all for reading my post, whether you
agree or not.  In the end, I speak for no one but myself, and you can
take what I say however you want.

Dann Smith
Dallas, TX, US