[ros-dev] Goodbye Everyone...

rené Tournois <betov@free.fr> @mailhost.geldorp.nl rené Tournois <betov@free.fr> at mailhost.geldorp.nl
Thu Feb 16 14:20:11 CET 2006

At 10:20 16/02/2006 -0000, you wrote:

>It is inevitable that as a project grows in size and popularity, it also
>becomes much more political. [...]
>
>There is no getting away from the fact that politics would eventually
>emerge, it was going to happen some day.

I am a lurker, here. I started a GPLed project -completely outside
ReactOS, but conditioned to the existence of ReactoS- the first day
i heard of the ReactOS Project. In other words, i work _for_ reactOS
Environment, and not _for_ Windows, and along all of these years of
developments (I started in 1998), i always took a particular care of
locking my own work, so that it could not be extended and re-used,
in case the ReactOS Project would collapse.

I am used to not post anything, here, as long as i consider that,
as i do not contribute to anything in the ReactOS developments, i
just have the right to shut-up and thank for having the right for
reading. Nevertheless, with the actual events, it seems to me that,
we -the external lurkers- have natural rights to be informed about
the _real_ political and ethical concerns.

I have seen enough of such scaring horrors, like Anti-GPL, and/or
Right-Wing guys, contributing to ReactOS, to understand the reasons
why the true words were not said, but, at this point, i really would
like to know where the things are going to, and if a dissident Project
is to be started, the correct political and ethical way, or if the
same Project is taking a correct path, i would like to see, at least,
a "White Paper" for it. Having seen volunnteers saying that "using
GPLed-compatible Dev-Tools was not a necessity" (Hyperion, if i recall
well), or pure horrors like "In the future we may have collaborations
with MicroSoft" (Alex, taking publicly the defense of a Neo-Nazi,
against... me -???!!!...-), for example, are things that made me
really sea-sick.

Personaly, i am not interrested with knowing if unfair Code was
implemented or not (knowing of the individual, this is not any
surprise to me, by the way). What i wish to know is:

Will the political and ethical lessons be understood? Or not?

[By the way, the simple fact of having to ask such a question,
 about such an important GPLed Project, like what ReactOS is,
 is already a pure scandal to me: I shouldn't even have to ask]

Betov.

< http://rosasm.org >