[ros-dev] ***SPAM*** Goodbye Everyone...

Steven Edwards winehacker at gmail.com
Thu Feb 16 18:29:24 CET 2006

On 2/16/06, KJKHyperion <hackbunny at reactos.com> wrote:
> For the love of god, unlock the repository and resume the coding. Nobody
> wants the audit, and as it stands now it's completely useless - if
> there's dubious code, let someone _else_ do the audit. In the USA you
> have the DMCA, ok, but you have presumption of innocence too, so, christ
> almighty, use it. Let _Microsoft_ waste resources trying to demonstrate
> a copyright violation. Let them prove the reversing wasn't clean-room,
> if that's even possible (let _them_ find out if it is). You are digging
> your own graves, you don't even know who the "enemy" is and have never
> faced it. This is suicide. Legally we were and we are in no danger, you
> KNOW it's always been a matter of PR, but someone HAD to fuck it up
> royally (hey Hartmut, please eat shit and die. This is all your own
> fucking fault. Hope you're happy with the outcome of your sissy drama)
> and turn us into instant celebrities. Relax, chill, you cannot outdo
> Wine, PR-wise, they have investors, we don't - so why act like we did
> do, with all the issues and none of the benefits?

I swear it seems like fewer and fewer people have any concept of "good
faith". The whole point of auditing the code was that we would make a
good faith effort to remove code that we know to not be implemented
cleanly. Alex himself admitted that 99% of everything he wrote was by
knowledge gained straight from disassembles. Its not like anyone would
have to try very hard to make a case.

In regards to investors, before all of this mess I was making good
progress with the $100 laptop people and many members of the
FreeSoftware Foundation. Go check out David Sugars article on why he
thought ReactOS was a good idea. The tide was turning in my
discussions with business interests.

> We don't need good PR, we need fucking CODE. Wasn't becoming a ReactOS
> developer a matter of trust and social networking? This used to be the
> beauty of it, that you didn't have to sign away your soul to
> partecipate. And I don't see what makes you believe that adding barriers
> will be beneficial - has it ever worked? EVER?

Yes we have CODE. And 90% of the kernel from the past two years is a
derived work.

> This is an open source project. Code is all that matters. No code
> flowing in, project dies

If its copied Microsoft code then it does not matter. See top.

> Mr. Project Coordinator, take some risks, show some balls, be a fucking
> asshole about it if you have to, and recall the audit. It's only been a
> glorious display of weakness and ineptitude so far. You know it's
> killing the project while doing NO GOOD WHATSOEVER to it, save for
> HYPOTHETICAL, FUTURE and all-in-all IRRELEVANT benefits

If you want to see me be a asshole then I will fork the project myself
and impose my dictatorship on the new project. Otherwise we will stick
with the processes we have agreed upon. Guess what.....the B vote won.
I disagree with it but thats what ReactOS is going to do. Someone is
going to have to setup a new SVN repo with the old SVN as Exception is
leaving. So do me a favor and wake up to the facts, this project is
sinking by its own choices.

I tried to warn most of ReactOS Core in private over the past two
years that a situation was coming that would blow out of control.

> Wine can ultimately suck dick, if that's what you're worried about.
> They're using a public license, they cannot revoke it. So if they don't
> like our policies, so long. We can parasite them, they cannot parasite
> us, all their loss if they want to turn it into a one-way relationship
> because mr. Investor has his ass itching about bad PR from us and
> Alexandre has to scratch him

No at this point I am not worried about anything. I have sat by and
watched more and more people that I enjoyed working with over the
years say they were leaving:

Thomas, Emanual, Blight, Exception, Ge, Richard, Hartmut and others.

--
Steven Edwards