[ros-dev] Why so small?

Wesley Parish wes.parish at paradise.net.nz
Mon Apr 2 13:17:30 CEST 2007

On Monday 02 April 2007 06:40, Jason Ward wrote:
> Ok I want to start developing for reactos. I will use NASM. Not C/C++.
>
> So how do I start? do you send me a list of things you want done and then I
> do them?
> It would take me too long to go through all the source code so I figured
> that I could just write
> whatever you ask me to.
>
> I am a Com Sci undergraduate. I can program in RosAsm so I shouldn't have
> too much trouble converting to NASM. I can read C++. I can program in
> python, some basic, pascal. And I am learning Java in University.
>
> I have next to no knowledge of the win32api. I know quite a bit of OpenGL
> though.

First things first, get yourself a copy of theForger's Tutorial:
http://www.winprog.org/tutorial/
Then a copy of Petzold's "Programming Windows".  It will give you a start in
understanding the Win32 API, which is nothing like the POSIX API.

Ignore books like "Windows 2000 Developer's Guide" and so - they tend to be
MFC-heavy and Win32 API-light.  MFC's only useful if you're intending to do
serious Windows applications development, and so, it's useless for an MS
Windows-class operating system project like ReactOS.  And besides, MFC's only
available for people who pay the big bucks for Visual Studio - it's
Microsoft's proprietary extensions built on top of the Win32 API.

To get your head around the ReactOS kernel, you should take a look at Gary
Nebbett's "Windows NT/2000 Native API Reference".  Russinovich and
Solomon's "Windows Internals" is a good start to get your head around the MS
WinNT structure/architecture - it used to be "Inside Windows [NT|2000|etc]".

Hope this helps.

Wesley Parish
> No Directx knowledge.

-----