[ros-dev] Audit

Aleksey Bragin aleksey at reactos.org
Tue Sep 18 23:00:49 CEST 2007

	Hello,
I recently asked Klemens to remove audit progress bar from the
frontpage. Some wonder: why? The simple answer is obvious: Audit
doesn't have anything to do with end-users, testers, or patch-
submitters of the project.
Audit is an effort run by ReactOS Development Team, and has only one
goal: Reduce possible legal problems in future, when, and if, ReactOS
starts to have commercial appliances.
The process with file locking-unlocking is only the top of the
iceberg, there is a huge amount of work to be done in order to
maintain solid legal base for all our code. It can't be measured with
a single progressbar, nor it needs to. It can't be done only with the
help of ReactOS Development Team, a third party code reviewer is a
must. We plan that too, but for later time, when there are more
stable modules in ReactOS.

Legal base consists of a number of factors: authorship and sources of
the code and their legality, availability of documentation for
certain interfaces and algorithms, development of test cases showing
internal behaviour of certain API functions, licensing issues, 3rd
party code reviewing process results, etc, etc, etc.

I think it's rather clear to see that measuring all the above factors
in a single percentage number can't sound serious for a project, nor
can it be a real value of cleannes of the project.

The respective Audit wikipage needs to be updated too WRT this email.

Also please note, our audit process results are fully seen via SVN
commits, so there is no hiding involved.

With the best regards,
Aleksey Bragin.