[ros-dev] Open Sound System porting

Steven Edwards winehacker at gmail.com
Sat Sep 22 03:38:01 CEST 2007

On 9/21/07, reactos-development at silverblade.co.uk
<reactos-development at silverblade.co.uk> wrote:
> So my main question at this time is how to handle this? The calls in
> question appear to
> be documented inside a file called "soundcard.h" in the OSS sources however
> this just
> seems to be definitions for the ioctl codes. So I suspect a majority of the
> drivers are
> calling ioctl.
> Therefore, I figure the best way around this is probably to provide a fake
> ioctl that
> provides the expected functionality, and make this wrap DeviceIoControl
> with something
> that can translate the ioctl parameters into whatever...
> The only other way I see around this is to rewrite all calls to ioctl, and
> rewrite the
> IOCTL codes with NT-style ones.
> Thoughts/ideas?

You could write a wrapper for ioctl. I had a few ideas on this but you
might not even need to do that. Would ws2_32 ioctlsocket and WSAioctl
maybe work? You might have to add a static lib that does a WSAstartup
to each sound driver.

You might find something of use there. Also check out how Wine uses
ioctl to enumerate the devices in wine/dlls/iphlpapi verses

Steven Edwards