[ros-dev] compatibility vs. correctness

Ged gedmurphy at gmail.com
Mon Dec 8 13:02:04 CET 2008

I don't really know why everyone is discussing this. This isn't something
that's up for debate, this is the way it is and it's not going to change.
We replicate the Windows API's 100%, if this means introducing a flaw or
bug, then so be it.
The original post from Collibri highlights why it's so important to do this.

Just so everyone knows the ReactOS stance on this:
- We must replicate the actual behaviour or the API's, not a personnal
preferred behaviour.
- MSDN should not be relied on, it isn't always correct.
- The Wine tests are designed for this exact thing, use them whenever
possible, or write your own test cases if it's not covered by them.
- The target usermode API we are aiming at is currently xp. Vista API's
(which we also implement) are an obvious exception to this.

If anyone feels compelled to improve the API's, then apply for a job at
Microsoft. This is where the API behavioural decisions are made, not in
ReactOS.

Hope that clears this up.

Ged.