[ros-dev] Time has come, a call to developers

Heis Spiter heis_spiter at hotmail.com
Thu May 8 21:43:15 CEST 2008

Hi,

I mostly agree with the ideas developed in that mail. I've just a problem
with one of them. Make bugfixing a priority before implementing new features
is a great idea; it could avoid some really bad releases such as ReactOS
0.3.4. BUT asking people to learn how some Windows parts works in order to
fix bugs is a bad idea. In my opinion, fixing bug is easier when the dev
know code on which he is working especially when it looks like Win32k
subsystem. Other way, it's easier to implement bug than fixing them...

So, we should focus our work on fixing bugs in branches of the OS we're
working on usually and not trying to learn how something works to fix bug
whereas there's a hundred times more skilled developer working on. We should
keep the "you work on what you like" motto.
I'd like also add something that always made uneasy. I don't know how you,
others devs, are working, but I really don't understand why build can be
broken after a patch. It should be tested (so build!) before being
committed. Committing a patch that broke build shows a lack of tests and
potentials bugs.

About "And if no beta this year, I'm sorry to say, but it may be too late.",
I'm afraid to say I agree. But we aim to make a WinXP OS like or WinXP is
about to be retired by Microsoft to leave Vista taking his place. And in my
opinion, copying  dead OS have no sense. So, indeed, we should hurry, and
that leads to the last point I wanted to speak about. We don't have enough
devs. Getting new and skilled ones should be really great for us... That's
really hard to find!

Anyway, until 0.3.5 comes out, I'll try (as far as I can code) to fix bugs
I'll find.

Aleksey, do not give up!

Best regards,
P. Schweitzer.