[ros-dev] Rbuild sucks, let's rew... improve it

me dhazelton at enter.net
Wed May 14 23:18:02 CEST 2008

On Wednesday 14 May 2008 05:08:34 pm Maarten Bosma wrote:
> Actually I think the hole concept of autogenerating a big make file is
> messy. Also I don't understand why there are no better make tools around
> (or if they are why we don't use them). ReactOs can't  be the only project
> that need a good build environment, can it ?

The Linux Kernel uses a complex system that auto-generates a file that is
included into a top-level makefile and contains all the variables needed to
tell  that makefile which of the lower-level makefiles to actually use.

The problem with this is that MS's "nmake" isn't as smart as classic make
programs.

DRH

> Maarten
>
> On Wed, May 14, 2008 at 1:36 PM, Aleksey Bragin <aleksey at reactos.org> wrote:
> > I obviously agree too (I don't want to blame anyone though). And
> > certain design ideas outlined in KJK's paper are excellent.
> >
> > Also, I must say my last emails critique has been heard. Trunk never
> > had so many good fixes and improvements since, I think, the beginning
> > of 2008 year, as it had during this last week.
> > This shows how much is possible to do if most of the development goes
> > into one, good defined direction. There was enough of chaotic
> > movement, it's time to get to the goal now.
> >
> > I will draft a beta roadmap, and send out an email to discuss it soon.
> >

> > With the best regards,
> > Aleksey Bragin.
> >
> > On May 14, 2008, at 1:31 PM, gedmurphy wrote:
> > > I was going to add my own gripes, but KJK appears to have covered
> > > everything.
> > > I'm therefore replying to this mail to show my support for his
> > > thoughts as
> > > opposed to adding 'hell yeah', 'damn right' or 'right on' to the
> > > end of each
> > > topic.
> > >
> > > Ged.

Dialup is like pissing through a pipette. Slow and excruciatingly painful.