[ros-dev] Reactos and MinWin

Alex Ionescu ionucu at videotron.ca
Mon Nov 2 21:20:53 CET 2009

You'd have to check them out as modules, and then the sources would be
used on your machine instead of the static copies.

But we'd probably not accept bug reports from such builders without
you having checked the static versions first (just as we always refer
people to official install/boot CDs to rule out any local building
issues).

On 2009-11-02, at 12:09 PM, King InuYasha wrote:

> So would the sources of the binary modules still be available in the
> tree? Because I personally like to compile everything to be set
> dynamically instead of using static libraries.
>
> On Mon, Nov 2, 2009 at 10:43 AM, Alex Ionescu <ionucu at videotron.ca>
> wrote:
> There are all things that KJK and myself have been striving to work
> on. They require changes to rbuild's underpinnings, which have yet to
> happen. There is a Wiki tracking some of this.
>
> The end plan is for us to ship an RDK which would ship with
>
> 1) Public SDK (libs and headers)
> 2) RosBE
> 3) Rbuild itself
>
> And those binary modules would be used unless the source module was
> imported into the tree (say you wanted to have your own rbuild or make
> changes to it).
>
> This would add major stability and testing consistency so everyone
> builds with the same headers, libraries, build scripts and
> rbuild/compiler version.
>
> The extended plan is to add things like mesa and other 3rd party
> libraries as binary-only packages in the RDK as well -- again allowing
> for the option of these to be compiled by hand if the user wants to,
> but normally the static versions would be linked, saving compilation
> time and disk space.
>
> Best regards,
> Alex Ionescu
>

> On Mon, Nov 2, 2009 at 11:14 AM, Timo Kreuzer <timo.kreuzer at web.de>
> wrote:
> >
> > One thing related to this is the sepeartion of the SDK part.
> >
> > Curently the SDK is integral part of the whole source tree. One
> minor
> > change can cause massive rebuilds even if not needed. The import
> > libraries are even part of the modules that export the functions
> which
> > is stupid, because the interfaces are expected to be stable.
> >
> > Separating the SDK completely from the sources is not possible
> atm, but
> > I suggest separating it from the main folder.
> > It could be done similar to how rosapps and rostets are managed.
> As a
> > sepeate checkout. But instead of putting it into the hardcoded
> modules
> > subfolder, I would suggest a configurable path. So that multiple
> reactos
> > checkouts could use one SDK checkout. Each of the main checkouts
> > contains a config file with the sdk path. A default path could be
> set by
> > RosBE or in the config-template. I would suggest to do that with
> rosapps
> > and rostests, too. So you only need one checkout of rostests for
> > multiple base checkouts. You can probably do that with hardlinks
> but not
> > everyone can/wants to do that.
> > The libraries would only be rebuild if you update the SDK.
> >
> > Sources\
> >    \reactos-trunk\...
> [...]

Best regards,
Alex Ionescu