[ros-dev] A reimplementation of reactos' cache manager supporting alternate filesystems better (including ext2)

ayerkes at speakeasy.net ayerkes at speakeasy.net
Mon Nov 9 10:21:39 CET 2009

I'm pleased to announce that I've been able to boot reactos to the shell from an ext2 partition.  This is something we've wanted for a long time and many of us have worked on.  I've synced up arty-newcc to the current state of my git repository.  This work is experimental, not quite complete, and has some important limitations:

- It probably won't currently work for a partition larger than 4gig and might even fail for one larger than 2gig.  This limitation is lifted by other, unrelated code in my tree that I haven't merged yet.

- It probably has a lot more bugs left, especially in block allocation for large files.

- Some parts of the new section implementation leak pages.

I was planning to, but haven't yet made the new and old cache and cc and section implementations available side by side.  The main work of separating the new files involved in the section implementation (now in ntoskrnl/mm/section/*) is done. This will be necessary when I merge it into the main tree, at least for regression testing.

Despite the branch being named for me, I invite anyone to work on, modify, or bugfix arty-newcc.  This advance has been a long time coming, and I'd like to thank everyone for keeping the faith.