[ros-dev] A reimplementation of reactos' cache manager supporting alternate filesystems better (including ext2)

Love Nystrom love.nystrom at gmail.com
Wed Nov 11 05:08:39 CET 2009

On Wed, Nov 11, 2009 at 4:32 AM, King InuYasha <ngompa13 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Wouldn't that mean that we would need to support the extended attributes
> that Linux drivers support within ReactOS (like UNIX permissions, etc.)?

They just need to be mapped to equivalent NT security attributes.

On Tue, Nov 10, 2009 at 3:18 PM, James Walmsley <james at worm.me.uk> wrote:

>> Hi,
>>
>> The other day I had an idea. Because Linux has already many
>> file-systems, would it not be possible to simply make a generic FS
>> driver, that simply wraps around the Linux fs model?

That's a good idea. An IFS (installable file system) driver is the
proper way to implement ext3/ext2 or other file systems support in NT.
Is Ayerkes implementation hard-coded into the kernel?

I'm sure the linux and windows models are quite different when it
>> comes to their overall architecture.

Does the linux fs support extended attributes
that can be used to store access control lists (ACLs)?

If not, the IFS driver can not implement the full NT security model
(neither can FAT), but I think it would still be a good idea to have
an ext2/ext3 IFS driver. Even better if we could support
a journaling fs like f.ex reiserfs.

Best Regards // Love