[ros-dev] A reimplementation of reactos' cache manager supporting alternate filesystems better (including ext2)

Steven Edwards winehacker at gmail.com
Fri Nov 13 02:29:34 CET 2009

On Thu, Nov 12, 2009 at 11:46 AM, Alex Ionescu <ionucu at videotron.ca> wrote:
> 1) You would get the SAME ADVANTAGE by having the FILE on another
> physical drive!

Wouldn't you still have a problem with fragmentation leading to
additional io? I ask because the VMware/Netapp best practices for
Windows and Linux on ESX clusters still recommends a separate
filesystem dedicated to swap regardless of the the underlying backend
be it block (iSCSI, Fiberchannel) or file (NFS). This kind of
surprises me because you would think that if your using shared storage
such a NetAPP Filer the IO is spread across all drives anyway so you
save mostly nothing on IO so the only thing I can think is that a
separate filesystem saves a small amount due to consolidation of all
fragments to one location.

...dont even get me started on other trouble I've had with filesystems
and block alignment ;)

--
Steven Edwards