[ros-dev] Roadmap I'm sticking to

Aleksey Bragin aleksey at reactos.org
Thu Apr 8 14:54:29 CEST 2010

	Hello,
yesterday we had a usual rant in #reactos-dev regarding organization,
teaming and development issues, and I explained how I see it. I think
explaining and discussing here would be beneficial.

I won't spend your time explaining how I came to this roadmap, I will
go right to it. This roadmap is mainly usage-oriented and doesn't
cover the kernel (it has its own one).

* Finish wine-based subsystem ("arwinss"), fixing all internal
(absent in Wine and/or trunk) bugs.
Milestone 1: user32 and gdi32 known to work and support at least all
the apps listed in the Wine app compat database.
* Test as many as possible apps known to work in Wine and determine
those which fail.
* Fix failing components (kernel32, ntdll, kernel, CSR, non-synced
DLLs, etc).
Milestone 2: ReactOS supporting quite wide amount of applications,
including major apps like MS Office suites, Open Office, CAD systems,
Adobe products.
Decision point: Because other Win32 components are proven to work, NT-
alike user32, gdi32 and win32k development may be boosted, testing
simplified.
* Implement filesystem drivers, using fastfat_new as a universal
skeleton for FS drivers. Use ntfs3g library and that skeleton to
develop an NTFS IFS driver.
Milestone 3: ReactOS with NTFS support (quite important for end
users, thus separated into a standalone milestone).
* Total rewrite of networking, using NT's one as a model.
Milestone 4: ReactOS with a rock-stable networking. Ability to host
database servers, web and FTP servers.
* Release 1.0 and profit ;)

So that's what I'm sticking to so far. I don't expect everyone to
agree, but if more people are involved, achieving these milestones
will happen faster. Also, they don't really have to go in a sequence,
all of that may be done simulteneously (e.g. filesystem drivers must
be developed against Windows 2003; kernel32 and ntdll could be fixed
first using winetests without waiting for arwinss to be complete;
networking could be again tested in existing ReactOS and Windows).

Comments, improvements are welcome.

WBR,
Aleksey Bragin.