[ros-dev] Roadmap I'm sticking to

Andrew Faulds ajfweb at googlemail.com
Thu Apr 8 17:20:49 CEST 2010

I think USB comes under working/functional OS. Poeple need to be able
to transfer files in and out on USB memory sticks and the like,
actually run it on a PC post-2007 which lacks PS/2 Mouse and Keyboard
ports, connect their WiFi dongle...
Oh and I think uniata is very important. It'd help if you could
actually INSTALL the OS in the first place on recent PCs.
On 8 April 2010 16:10, Alexey Komarov <q4a at bk.ru> wrote:

> What about uniata/scsi, usb drivers and hal?
>

> WBR, Alexey Komarov.
>
> 08.04.2010 16:54, Aleksey Bragin пишет:
>>
>> Hello,
>> yesterday we had a usual rant in #reactos-dev regarding organization,
>> teaming and development issues, and I explained how I see it. I think
>> explaining and discussing here would be beneficial.
>>
>> I won't spend your time explaining how I came to this roadmap, I will go
>> right to it. This roadmap is mainly usage-oriented and doesn't cover the
>> kernel (it has its own one).
>>
>> * Finish wine-based subsystem ("arwinss"), fixing all internal (absent
>> in Wine and/or trunk) bugs.
>> Milestone 1: user32 and gdi32 known to work and support at least all the
>> apps listed in the Wine app compat database.
>> * Test as many as possible apps known to work in Wine and determine
>> those which fail.
>> * Fix failing components (kernel32, ntdll, kernel, CSR, non-synced DLLs,
>> etc).
>> Milestone 2: ReactOS supporting quite wide amount of applications,
>> including major apps like MS Office suites, Open Office, CAD systems,
>> Adobe products.
>> Decision point: Because other Win32 components are proven to work,
>> NT-alike user32, gdi32 and win32k development may be boosted, testing
>> simplified.
>> * Implement filesystem drivers, using fastfat_new as a universal
>> skeleton for FS drivers. Use ntfs3g library and that skeleton to develop
>> an NTFS IFS driver.
>> Milestone 3: ReactOS with NTFS support (quite important for end users,
>> thus separated into a standalone milestone).
>> * Total rewrite of networking, using NT's one as a model.
>> Milestone 4: ReactOS with a rock-stable networking. Ability to host
>> database servers, web and FTP servers.
>> * Release 1.0 and profit ;)
>>

>> So that's what I'm sticking to so far. I don't expect everyone to agree,
>> but if more people are involved, achieving these milestones will happen
>> faster. Also, they don't really have to go in a sequence, all of that
>> may be done simulteneously (e.g. filesystem drivers must be developed
>> against Windows 2003; kernel32 and ntdll could be fixed first using
>> winetests without waiting for arwinss to be complete; networking could
>> be again tested in existing ReactOS and Windows).
>>
>> Comments, improvements are welcome.
>>
>> WBR,
>> Aleksey Bragin.

Andrew Faulds (andrewros)