[ros-dev] Roadmap I'm sticking to

Aleksey Bragin aleksey at reactos.org
Sat Apr 10 17:47:35 CEST 2010

On Apr 9, 2010, at 2:38 PM, Ged Murphy wrote:

> What we really need is a stable win32k, we need a shell that
> doesn't belong in the dark ages, we need USB, we need to be able to
> run apps
> without bringing the whole OS down to its knees.

Exactly what I thought. I got slightly dismotivated from improving
the kernel when it doesn't result in any visible user-wise improvement.
Look: kernel was rewritten, quite a few things added, storage stack
improved, all those great things done during these years. Even
bootloader got rewritten to be great, cool and compatible. And? Yes,
kernel is cool, architecturally beautiful, is more stable and a lot
more compatible and faster. But average user can't see all this
beauty! What that user sees (I will use Ged's comparison) is that
Firefox works even worse than it worked when GvG first made it run!

That was the reason why I thought there is an urge need to fix things
in Win32 area, and after thoroughly analyzing all possible options
(including total rewrite, and studying existing user32/gdi32/win32k
code) I decided to go with the Wine-based way (codenamed "arwinss").
If more people could join this effort, it would possible to achieve a
usable state in a less amount of time.

WBR,
Aleksey.