[ros-dev] [ros-diffs] [tkreuzer] 46998: Disable gdi batch for SelectObject with fonts. Fixes font regression.

Aleksey Bragin aleksey at reactos.org
Fri Apr 23 14:10:52 CEST 2010

Well, let's clear it up once and for all. I don't want this topic to
be brought again and again.

On Apr 23, 2010, at 5:47 AM, James Tabor wrote:

>  ReactOS is about moving forward and taking chances with
"The main goal of the ReactOS project is to provide an operating
system which is binary compatible with Windows.", this is from our
website, and it's not something new really.

ReactOS is about making an OS which works. It has been this way since
the moment it was founded.
ReactOS is NOT:
  1. about comparing epeens;
  2. NOT a fundamental research project (those are done by
universities and often funded by government);
  3. NOT a theoretical OS project (at least the kernel architecture
we use has been developed by other people, ReactOS doesn't aim
creating a totally new architecture, though it may be a target of
some branch);

> innovations from learned information then moving away to make it work
> even better. Personally, I hope someone will take up where this left
> off and move on.
James, what is your goal with ReactOS project? Maybe I and other
people don't understand it? Explain it then to us, inspire us.
However, if your goal is theoretical OS research, then please
understand that it's not ReactOS primary objective and never was.
It's fine and appreciated that you do this, but you can't demand your
results to be used without any quality assurance at all.

ReactOS is a unique and very important project which could get
immediate usage throughout whole world. My own interest in ReactOS is
purely practical at the moment: I want a free, opensource, Windows-
compatible OS which I can install on my machines.  My research
interests are different (functional/logical languages, parallel
computations, to name a few), I have publications about those and I
am preparing a Ph.D. thesis. I'm not going to invent a new kernel
architecture right now, I haven't got even one publication related to
the kernel mode architecture and design (well, except maybe being a
scientific editor of a russian edition of "Beautiful Architecture"
book).