[ros-dev] Regression fixing

Aleksey Bragin aleksey at reactos.org
Wed Apr 28 14:41:46 CEST 2010

Hello,
as you all know we have quite a lot of regressions recently, and
recently they only add up to one another causing annoyances of
testers and developers. There is a strong need to change this
situation as soon as possible, otherwise the project's future is
undetermined.

I want to propose a step-by-step approach. Our brave testing team has
created a good overview of the most important regressions and bugs we
have so far: http://www.reactos.org/wiki/Buglist .

Now, very important(!):
For the first step I would like ALL developers to drop their current
ReactOS-related work, including all work in branches or wherever else
and focus ONLY on fixing regressions from that list. The goal is to
fix all confirmed regressions that have been introduced, starting
from the most recent and going down to the most ancient. All possible
ways to remove a regression could be used: starting from a proper fix
and finishing with a total revert or commenting out even good code.

Process coordination: feel free to commit proper fixes right away,
however as for reverts, I, and/or comittee of our core devs, would
like to have a final say on whether something should be reverted.

I repeat, all other non-regression related commits to the official
ReactOS SVN repository are forbidden, even to branches. The only
exception may be  developers whose access is restricted to branches
only.

Thank you for understanding,
Aleksey Bragin.