[ros-dev] HAL multi-targeted build

Pierre Schweitzer pierre.schweitzer at reactos.org
Sat Mar 19 11:28:35 UTC 2011

> > currently working on HAL and HAL targets (ACPI, MP, UP and so on), I discovered a quite bad issue in our build process.
> > Just look at the function HalInitSystem at 8 (halinit.c), depending on the build target we don't add the same code (look at CONFIG_SMP, which is only defined for HAL MP). But, currently, as we are building using HAL library for reducing code redudancy, this halinit.c file is only built ONCE. So, build targets aren't taken into account (MP, ACPI).
> Does ACPI have a compile time macro, like CONFIG_ACPI?
Yes.

> > So, two choices, or we break that model, and forget about lib, and just keep base .rbuild (hal.rbuild, halacpi.rbuild, and so forth) with all files defined in those.
> That would increase build time.
Well, HAL isn't that big. It would more certainly break maintainability.

> > Or with find something smarter better such as rebuilding the lib with the new flags for each build?
> That kindof defeats the purpose of the libs, doesn't it?
Most probably, yes. But, one thing is sure, having an absolute generic lib sounds impossible.

For the rest, I had an other idea, to complete the changes you talked about: getting the HAL entry point out of the libs.

Regards,
P. Schweitzer