[ros-general] Microsoft wants royalties for use of FAT

KJK::Hyperion noog at libero.it
Sun Dec 7 21:55:12 CET 2003

At 21.28 06/12/2003, you wrote:

>Named streams could either be dropped,

unlikely. Some programs are already using them

>or supported by storing in multiple files.

streams aren't files. Opening different streams opens the same file - i.e.
the same node. What are you going to do, maintain a second table of nodes
in a hidden file?

>object IDs could be stored in attributes.

nope, they can't. They aren't attributes, they are identifiers: you can
open files by their object id. What now, another hidden file to index
object ids?

>SIDs could be stored in attributes,

and this will waste any existing mechanism for access control and file
ownership. What I'm saying is that you can use Ext3 as the ReactOS's
official filesystem, just don't expect you'll be able to call the result
"Ext3" anymore, or actually share partitions with Linux without a special
driver. You can overload the meaning of "extended attributes" so many times
before you have created a new filesystem

>and the attributes could be indexed for efficiency -- this is all
>supported quite nicely by BFS.

Does BFS exist? I mean, an implementation we can use?